MMRDA formulates E-waste Management Project


Deolitte Touche Tohmastu India appointed by The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), for formulating the e-waste management project, to be taken up on a public-private partnership basis, will be the first of its kind in the country to be initiated by a Government Body

Deolitte Touche Tohmastu India appointed by The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), for formulating the e-waste management project, to be taken up on a public-private partnership basis, will be the first of its kind in the country to be initiated by a Government Body

According to M R Shah, principal advisor, solid waste management cell, MMRDA "We have prepared a road map with Deloitte on the course ahead. We are revisiting the documents on various aspects as this is the first such project in the country, and will be preparing the concession agreement along with the help of experts to outline the terms and conditions between the MMRDA and concessionaire,". He further added that a business model for the project would be worked out along with the consultants.

"We have already carried out studies on different types of model, but now we would crystallize the idea along with the private players who could also be potential players in the project," Shah said. The project cost is estimated to be around Rs 76 crore. MMRDA, in the PPP model, would have a role of giving the land, moral and institutional support to the concessionaire at all times, to ensure completion of the project in around two years. Three sites in Taloja and a plot in Vasai has been shortlisted for this purpose by MMRDA.

According to MMRDA, four acres has been earmarked for land requirement, taking into account the requirement for next 20 years, including storage for finished and unfinished products. The e-waste factory will also have green cover around it.

From the present 50000 tonnes of e-waste annually, it is expected to significantly go up to 8 lakh tonnes by 2012. While 60 percent e-waste would be from corporate sector the rest 40 percent is expected from the domestic sector.


Related Articles

Diploma Courses in Transport Sector from MMRDA

Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is set to change the transpoort scenario in the city of Mumbai. MMRDA will soon introduce Diploma Courses in Transport Sector by MMRDA is in the offing. The aim is to have experts in the subject of Transport, who will serve usefully the modern modes of transport such as Metro and Mono Rail

More articles: Maharashtra Municipal Corporation MMRDA

Comments



  • Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
  • No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
  • This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
  • Name:
    Email: