Bhandardara is one of the best Holiday Resorts near Nasik. Bhandardara is a small village which is located at a distance of 70 Kms. from Nashik city and in the Ahmednagar district. Bhandardara is a place whose beauty emerges only after the rains. River Pravara flows near Bhandardara. Bhandardara is full of natural beauty, water falls, mountains, greenery etc. The major tourist attractions at Bhandardara are the Arthur lake, Randha falls and the Wilson dam.
According to Hindu legend, Sri Agasti Rishi meditated at Bhandardara for one year, surviving only on water and air. Pleased with Agasti Rishis's display of devotion, God came down to earth and blessed Agasti Rishi with a stream of Ganga river, which is now known as Pravara river. We can climb up from Bhandardara to see Ratangad and Harischandragad forts. There is also the highest peak in Maharashtra called Mount Kalsubai ( 1646 mtrs.) near Bhandardara. There is a temple on the top of this Mount Kalsubai. We can have an excellent view of Sahyadris and Bhandardara from the Mount Kalsubai top.
Places of Interest near Bhandardara
* Mount Kalsubai:Mount Kalsubai is the highest peak in the Sahyadri mountain range in Maharashtra. There is a temple atop this mountain. We can have a nice and excellent view of the sahyadris and Bhandardara village from this mountain top. There is also a wild life sanctuary at this peak.
* Bhandardara Dam: Another tourist attraction near Bhandardara is the Bhandardara Dam. This dam was built in 1926 on Pravara River.
* Randha Water falls: There is another water fall known as Randha waterfalls which is about 11 Kms. from Bhandardara dam. Here, the water gushes down the rock face to all 45 meters into the rocky ravine , forming a bubbling stream which , apart from offering a glimpse of natural design, looks extremely dangerous. Randha Falls is the third largest falls in India.
* Ratangad Fort: This fort is around 22 Kms. from Bhandardara and is well connected to Bhandardara by road way as well as ferry across the Lake Arthur.
* Anandavan Resort: A popular resort is the
* Wilson Dam: The Wilson Dam was built in the year 1910 across River Pravara. Wilson Dam is situated at a height of 150 m above sea level. It’s one of the oldest dams in the country. The opening of sluice gates creates two 60 to 80 feet cascades of water that plummet to the rocks below. It’s a spectacular view. This dam is known for its umbrella falls which provide a most excellent sight for taking photographs.
* Arthur Lake: The Arthur lake is bounded by thick canopied forests of the Sahyadri hills. The Arthur Lake gets its water from the Pravara River. The Lake and its surroundings offer an excellent view.