Mahabaleshwar Tourist Spots and Tourism Interest Places
Mahabaleshwar also known as Queen of Hill Stations of Maharashtra is located in the western ghats. Mahabaleshwar is most popular with both Indian and Foreign tourists who visit this place very often. The natural beauty of Mahabaleshwar attracts all kinds of people like nature lovers, film directors, holidaymakers, peace seekers and adventurers alike.
Tourism Attractions of Mahabaleshwar
Mahabaleshwar is gaining more popularity for its great sceneries and cool climate and quite away from City life. We can see the lush green forests, splendid lakes, great valleys and hills, water falls which can be enjoyed by the tourists in India and abroad.
One of the most important attractions at Mahabaleshwar is the Pratapgad fort and Lingamala Water falls. The famous "Points" in Mahabaleshwar offer a tourist breathtaking views of valleys that are full of green forests. The springs and water falls are another major lovely picnic spots at Mahabaleshwar. The list below shows the important places of tourism interest near and around Mahabaleshwar which are worth visiting by every one.
Places to visit at Mahabaleshwar
Pratapgad Fort: Pratapgad Fort is at a distance of 24 Kms. from Mahabaleshwar is an important tourism destinations while you visit Mahabaleshwar. This fort stands in testimony to the historic achievements of the great Maratha leader,Chatrapati Shivaji. Pratapgad is also the place where Afzal Khan died. If you see this fort from a distance, it appears like a round topped hill. Pratapgad Fort was built in the year 1656 and has a number of pons, chambers and long dark paths. Some of these paths lead us to trap doors and the doors open to a 100 meter fall. Afzal Khan's tomb and Bhavani's temple are other places worth visiting at Pratapgad Fort. The 4,500 kilo bronze statue of Shivaji is another major attraction inside the premises of the fort.
Mahabaleshwar Temple: Mahabaleshwar derived its name from the presiding deity "Mahabali" of the famous Hindu Temple. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple is divided into a God-Chamber and a central hall. The main site of worship is the Shiva Lingam. We can see a large number religious tourists visiting this temple through out the year.
PanchGanga Mandir: Panchganga Mandir is one of the holy places to be visited in Mahabaleshwar. The water from five rivers Koyna, Krishna, Venna, Savitri and Gayatri are joined at this place. The name Panchganga is given to this place because five ( panch) rivers (ganga) meet at this place. This famous temple was built by Raja Singhandeo. He was the king of Devgiri in 13th century. This temple was improved by Shivaji later on. Panchganga is also a very popular tourism destination to be visited by all tourists.
The Lingamala Water Falls: The different water falls flowing here are a crucial part of the sight seeing tour by any tourist. These water falls are a source of great attractions among the tourists who visit Mahabaleshwar.
The Lingamala Water falls are at the top of Venna valley. This is a great attraction for all tourists as the water falls from a height of 600 feet. The colorful view of the water falling from such a great height and fades off appears to be like a rain bow. The best time to visit Lingamala Water falls is during the Monsoon season.
Panchgani: Panchgani is located about 20 Kms. from Mahabaleshwar. Panchgani is surrounded by hills on all the sides. The travel time from Mahabaleshwar is only twenty to twenty five minutes. Panchgani can also be easily visited from Pune or Mumbai. Panchgani is also famous for the boarding schools, tasty strawberries. Panchgani derives its name from the five hills around it. Discovered during the colonial period by the British, Panchgani was the summer resort of the British.
Panchgani is also known for its pure oxygen-rich air having curative powers for those suffering from breathing problems. Tourist visit this charming hill station through out the year. The five hills surrounding Panchgani are topped by a volcanic plateau. This plateau is the second highest in Asia after the Tibetan plateau. These plateaus, are called as Table land.
Chinaman's Fall: The Chinaman's falls are at a distance of 2.5 Kms. from Mahabaleshwar. It is a great scenery of water rushing out from a huge height. In the past there were gardens which were looked after by by Chinese, hence the name Chinaman's fall has come to this place. Chinaman's water falls located in Koyna valley are a perfect holiday and picnic spot for all the tourists who visit Mahabaleshwar. It is a pleasant water fall worth visiting when you make a tour to Mahabaleshwar.
Venna Lake The Venna lake is one of the greatest attractions of Mahabaleshwar which is at a distance of 1.5 Kms. from Mahabaleshwar. The tourists an enjoy the boat rides in this lake. We can also see straw berry stalls around this lake. The Venna lake is especially liked by children. The Venna lake is the correct place for going for fishing, boat riding and games spot. The tourists can also enjoy the horse riding on the bank of this lake. Boating is the primary attraction at Venna lake. A range of colourful paddle and row boats are lined by the side of the lakeside. It costs Rs.125-150 for a 30-minute ride in row boat and Rs.50-100 for a 30-minute ride for paddle boat.
There are other points of interest at Mahabaleshwar. Let us see what are these view points.
* Wilson Point: Wilson point is also called as Sunrise point. There are three round platforms here. Tourists who visit this place can see the Sun rise and Sun set from here. It is advisable to see the sunrise from platform No.2
* Elphiston point: This is the first point of Mahabaleshwar from where we can see the two valleys, Koyna on the left & Savitri on the right.
* Arthur's Seat: This point is the queen of all the points at Mahabaleshwar. It is very fascinating to see the deep valley of Savithri on the left and the shallow green valley on the right. If you go by the steps, you can see the place called as Tiger's spring which is the source of river Savithri.
* Baghdad Point: This is a very beautiful point. It goes past village Moleshware on the way. We can see the superb scenic view of the back waters of Koyna dam on our left, river Solshi in front of us.
* Falkland Point: This is also an important point is called as lovers point by some nature lover, presents beautiful Koyana & valley below you.
* Bombay Point: This point is a very popular point. Tourists can visit the Sun set from here. This point shows the Sahyadri range Koyana valley & Pratapgad fort.
* Helen's Point: This is the starting point for river Solshi with a small fall near the origin. Poetic blue valley can be seen in front of you.
* Polo Ground: Polo ground is often used as Heli pad, can also be used for learning car driving.
There are many more view points at Mahabaleshwar which are worth visiting by a tourist.