The Divine- Goan CusineHere are some goan recepies you may love to read.
Goan Fish Curry
• 1 kg fish cleaned and cut into pieces
• 1 1/2" lump of tamarind
• 1/2 cup hot water
• 1 large onion sliced
• 1 large tomato sliced
• 7-8 dry red chillies
• tbsps garlic paste
• 1 tbsp ginger paste
• 1 1/2 cups grated fresh coconut
• 2 tbsps coriander powder
• 2 tbsps cumin powder
• 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
• 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
• 2 green chillies slit
• 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
• Hot water for gravy (approximately 2 cups)
• Salt to taste
• Soak the tamarind in 1/2 a cup of hot water for 10 minutes. Now mash the tamarind with your fingers to mix it well into the water. Strain through a sieve to extract all the pulp. Keep pulp aside.
• Put the onion, tomato, coconut, ginger, garlic, dry red chillies, all the spices and the tamarind pureé into your food processor and grind well to make a smooth paste (masala).
• Heat a deep pan on a medium flame, add the oil and heat.
• Add the green chillies, masala paste you just ground to the oil and fry for 5 minutes.
• Now add the 2 cups of water (add more water if you would like more gravy) and bring the gravy to a boil. Reduce the flame to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
• Gently add the pieces of fish to the gravy and cook for 10 more minutes. Do not cover the pan at any time during the cooking.
• Turn off the fire and serve immediately with plain boiled rice
Goan Roast Chicken:
Ingredients for the Five Spice Masala:
Haldi 50 Gms
Pepper 25 Gms
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) 50 Gms
Cinnamon 15 Gms
Cloves 25 Gms
Grind them into a fine powder for use, note that you do not need the entire quantity that you have made but just some of it, you can store the remaining five spice masala for later use.
Ingredients for Goan Roast Chicken:
1 Kilo Chicken
1 Table Spoon Garlic Paste
2 Table Spoons Five Spice Masala
Juice of 1 Sour Lime
1 Tablespoon Vinegar
Salt as Per Taste
3 Whole Kashmeri Chillies
1 Teaspoon Sugar
Goan Roast Chicken Procedure:
Wash and clean the chicken bits, remove most of the skin, you can keep a little for the sake of some oil. Marinate the bits with garlic paste, two spoons of the five spice masala, the 1/2 onion chopped the 3 red chillies, vinegar and lime juice for six hours to an entire day.
After your done with the marination heat some oil in the pan with the sugar until it gets reddish brown basically caramelised.
Then add the chunks of chicken only with the chillies for now.
Once you get this texture after a few minutes of cooking you need to turn the chicken chunks around so the other side gets roasted as well.
Add some water to the masala and pour it into the pan, something to note it may be better if you cook it in something that has a lid like a deep dish.Put the lid on and let it cook for a while.You can turn the chunks once again and slice the big chunks so the insides get done as well.Cook the chunks until it gets nice n dry, you can remove the lid to fascilitate evaporation. Your Goan Roast Chicken is ready.
"Chicken Xacuti- "Shakuti"
Most people know that Chicken Xacuti is actually pronounced as shakuti. Its a unique dish that consists of Poppy seeds and Kashmiri Chillies. The pronunciation "Shakuti" is most probably derived from the word "Chacuti" which is Portuguese, although the Portuguese Chacuti is brownish in colour as compared to the red Goan Xacuti.
Lets take a look how the Goan Chicken Xacuti is made!
Main Xacuti Ingredients:
1 Kg Chicken
Small round Potatoes
Dash of Nutmeg Powder
Small Bits of Coconut
Xacuti Masala Ingredients:
6 Red Chillies (Kashmiri Chillies)
1/2 Scraped Coconut
2 Teaspoon of Cloves
1 Teaspoon Haldi Powder
8 Pepper Corns
1 Teaspoon Jeera
1/4 Teaspoon Methi Seeds
1 Teaspoon Badee Saunf (Moti Saunf)
4 - 5 Flakes Garlic
1/2 Inch Ginger
2 Inch Piece of Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Khus Khus
1 Table Spoon Corriander Seeds
1/2 Teaspoon Til
Knock off the stocks and fry 6 red chillies in two tablespoons of oil.
Add the 1/2 scraped coconut along with the other masala ingredient mentioned above and stir it so everything gets mixed well.
Then blend the ingredients with some water until you get the Chicken Shakuti Masala, a nice bright red color!
Add masala to the chicken pieces and cook it on a slow fire for nearly one hour.
Just before it gets done, you should be able to make out by the colour, add the nutmeg powder, bits of coconut, small onions and small round potatos. The colour should be the same as the picture of the nearly ready chicken xacuti below.
Once you add the Onions, Potatoes and Coconut Pieces let them cook for a while, make sure you time it properly so that the chicken does not over cook! You now have the authentic goan chicken xacuti recipe, have a lovely meal!